Wednesday, February 14, 2007

"The Incubator"

I thought that this was a harder article to read, but it definitely got me thinking about photography and how far it has come from the first image by Niepce. I don't know if I completely agree with some of the points in the artice. I think that the writer often discredits "View from the window at Gras." I guess how I see it is that photography had to start somewhere, and even though the heliograph is barely visible, it was still the start of photography. And if anything I think that this display that is discussed sounds like a very intuiging set up. As for the reproductions, I actually find it to be quite amazing when comparing the original to the reproductions. And, at the same time, I do kind of find it sad that we really only see this image in reproductions. I think that seeing the original makes me feel so appreciative towards what photography has become, and I think that it teaches us a lot about how difficult it was to take a photograph, having an exposure of hours. To think that today, you hear the shutter and look at a screen and see your image within a second.

Although, I was confused at times during this article, I still found it to be very interesting. Like I said, I feel that Niepse is often discredeted for his work and the start of photography by some historians and theorists, but I felt this article really puts things into perspective for me.

No comments: