Monday, March 26, 2007

"Re-Reading Edward Weston"

I don't really have too much to day about this article. But, one comment in it that kind of got me thinking was "Lucy Lippard has described the feminist contribution to modernism as precisely a lack of contribution." This is something that I disagree with. Personally, I think that women have made modernism in the sense that women never used to be in the art world. Now, women are just as common to art as males are. Sure, when photography first got its start, there were not many women involved, but that was not out of the ordinary for those days. Women were meant to stay home, that was society. But modern art/photography, women are very common. I personally think that there are still to many old time photographers that hate seeing women in the field of photography. When I photograph weddings, I have had first hand experience with older male photographers being short and talking down to me like I shouldn't be in the business. Society has changed so much with women in the workforce, and I feel that some people just want to live in the past.

No comments: